Friday, September 7, 2012

Measuring a convention by tweets?

As I watched President Obama tonight, I decided I would write what everybody else was trying to say, comparing his speech with the others - Clinton, Biden, Michelle et al.  But that seemed to be silly.  He wasn't running against them.  So why was it so necessary to make a big deal of  it.   I merely jotted down that Obama was giving a presidential speech, not a stump speech. Not the most profound insight.  But it was getting late.

But I did learn after so many years in the business of writing about these things that  something new had been added in determining winners: tweets (which I don't do.)  In case you are interested in meaningless trivia, like how many homeruns are hit on a 3-2 count, the Democratic convention produced 9 million tweets; the Republican convention, 4 million.

Can we conclude that's well beyond the margin of error?   I left the room before anybody tried to explain the importance of  that lopsided spread.  If you know, you'll have no luck tweeting me.



1 comment:

David Hess said...

Like you, I'm not sure how to translate this finding. Being a non-tweeter myself, I claim no expertise about the tweeter universe. My only impression, for what it's worth, is that it reflects the respective age cohorts of the viewers who watched the proceedings.