Monday, August 20, 2012

Legitimate rape, Akin's moronic non-sequitur

Problem solved.

When Rep. Todd Akin ,  the Missouri Republican authority on something he called "legitimate rape,"  he  turned his senate race against Democratic incumbent Sen. Claire McCaskill upside down and inside out.  To the hysterical boos from the clubhouse of his terrified GOP brethren for his rock-headedness, he retreated to his cave to declare that he "misspoke."

Listen up:  If I referred to my sister-in-law as Patricia instead of Mary, I misspoke in a senior moment.

If I innocently told a visitor to turn right and not left at the next traffic light, I misspoke.

If I told someone that palm trees couldn't possibly grow in Ireland, I misspoke.

But in Akin's case, he went and  and on about the "legitimate rape" fantasy.

In a TV interview, the Republican nominee said it was rare for women who have been legitimately raped to get pregnant.
"From what I understand from doctors, that's really rare," he said.  'If it's a legitimate rape the female body has ways to shut the whole thing down. But let's assume maybe that didn't work or something.  I think there should be punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist."
There was enough comment there to indicate he really believed what he was saying when he said it.  He's the full Right-to-Life and Tea Party package, who  didn't back off from their  support of the six-term congressman.

I heard he was back on the Mike Huckabee show. Back in the Republican primary, Preacher Mike described Akin as a "courageous conservative" and "Bible-based Christian".

Meantime, I still haven't figured out the legitimacy of rape.  Folks, take care.    The swamp on the right is spreading.







4 comments:

David Hess said...

I'm still scratching my head over what kind of rape is "legitimate." Or, by Akin's reasoning, how does one "punish" a rapist if what happened was "legitimate." I'm not an OB/GYN, so I'm baffled by his claim that, owing to some miracle of the female anatomy, a rape victim can "shut down the whole thing" and avoid a pregnancy. Has he discovered a new method of birth control? I'm not well informed on Akin's educational background, but I suspect he never took a sex education course in high school. Or, if he did, God help the teenagers who took it.

Anonymous said...

They've done it! Republicans have solved the issue of condoms and sex. Just pretend it's rape and the body will shut down. No need for condoms. I see Paul Ryan between naming post offices has sponsored several anti-abortion bills with this modern day Einstein. Something tells me the Republicans in their infinite wisdom may have even led an effort to redefine rape. I would like to hear their new definition.

Sam Salem said...


If Congressman Todd Akin should ever get legitimately or even illegitimately raped, then he will have a golden opportunity to see if his male body ". . .has ways to shut the whole thing down."

JLM said...

Another result of the Tea Party's influence-beyond stupid individuals like this attaining public office.