Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Fiorina, once namely Sneed

As some of you may already know, I've long been a student of the Italian language.  Its melodic beauty (except at times in some visits to Sicily)  is seductive.    There are quarter-notes and trilled "r's"  rollng out of every expression.  "You must make it sound musical," an Italian  language teacher often corrected me in his class..

My  savoring of rhythmic Italian syllables  may have had its roots in my dreams as a young man of being a professional musician.

So you can imagine my distress when  I discovered that Carly Fiorina's birth name was
Cara Carleton Sneed,  entirely without the flowery essence of Fiorina.  She  now engages you with the name of her second husband.

Fiorina had a natural glow that was quite preferable to, say, Trump (hurrumph!)  or Bush (evocative of Tush!).

I know something about names.  Mine  gave everyone problems.  There was even  disagreement, and contention,  in my family on how to pronounce it, with my grandmother making it sound French.

Politicians can't afford to extend such impurities.  The late  Akron Sen. Oliver Ocasek's name was tossed about with hard and soft "a's" while his Irish friends could never understand why there wasn't an apostrophe between the "o" and "c".  He couldn't have cared less.  An expansive speaker and tireless worker on education issues, Ollie would be in the thick of assailing the charter school scandal today - with or without the apostrophe.



.


No comments: